The COPS Office defines training as the teaching and learning activities carried out for the primary purpose of helping members of an organization acquire and apply the knowledge, skills, abilities, and attitudes needed by a particular job or organization. Training is driven by specific goals and objectives; it is not a single event but rather an ongoing process that requires continuous self-reflection and evaluation.
The COPS Office has funded and developed several trainings in the following areas:
- Child & Youth Safety
- Community Policing
- Crime Prevention
- Homeland Security
- Legal Issues
- Officer Safety & Wellness
- Tribal Policing
For a complete list and description of online and in-person trainings please visit the COPS Office Training Portal.
PREPARING FOR ACTIVE SHOOTER SITUATIONS
TRAINING REFERS TO:
- The teaching & learning activities that help members of an organization acquire and apply necessary knowledge, skills, abilities, and attitudes;
- Driven by specific goals, outcomes, and objectives;
- An ongoing process; it is not a single event; and
- Requires continuous self–reflection and evaluation.
Access the complete library of the COPS Office publications at the Resource Center.