Not In My Town
The Working Group, the media production company behind the Not In Our Town (NIOT) anti-hate campaign, is collaborating with the COPS Office to support safe and inclusive communities.
The NIOT/COPS Office project will:
- Expand law enforcement leaders' involvement in the movement against hate and intolerance.
- Improve police-community relations nationwide.
- Institutionalize model community policing practices that help prevent hate crimes and enhance safety and inclusion for all residents.
Specifically, the NIOT/COPS Office project will produce:
- The NIOT + COPS website featuring new and existing NIOT resources focused on combating hate crimes. Resources include profiles of leaders across the country, an advice section, public/private forums, case studies, and much more.
- Five new resource films illustrating the important interplay between hate crime victims, the greater community, and law enforcement. The films will also present lessons and potential models for better hate crime reporting as well as preventive actions for other communities.
- Action guides that will provide practical methods for engagement, discussion, and assessment.
- Law enforcement guides that will help agencies and professionals work with diverse community groups, especially populations that might be difficult to reach because of perceived trust issues. The guides will also provide information on working with school populations, administrators, and security officers.
- NIOT law enforcement network leaders that will serve as resources and mentors within the law enforcement community. The leaders will be expected to do the following:
- Serve in an advisory role to the law enforcement community
- Offer advice occasionally to communities in crisis
- Introduce and spread the project and its tools
- Provide advice and feedback on the project tools as needed
- Host a minimum of two screenings within their agency and community
- Participate in a minimum of two webinars
If you are interested in learning more and getting involved, please visit the NIOT + COPS website.
This project is supported by Cooperative Agreement Number 2012-CF-WX-K021.