How to Manage Your Grant and Implement Your Community Policing Plan: Online Training for CHRP Grantees
The COPS Office understands that many, if not all, COPS Hiring Recovery Program (CHRP) grantee agencies will have questions in the upcoming months about how to manage their grants. Financial strains have forced many law enforcement agencies to reduce or eliminate altogether their budgets for training. With this in mind, the COPS Office has partnered with the Virginia Center for Policing Innovation to offer no-cost, online training to all CHRP grantees.
Soon, CHRP grantee agencies, at their own convenience, will be able to learn about both grant management and community policing in an interactive learning environment, located at www.COPSchrp.org. Here are some important facts to know about this training opportunity:
- Currently, all CHRP grantee agencies can register at www.COPSchrp.org. Once registered, users will be notified by e-mail when these trainings are available.
- The CHRP grants management training course, which will explain the entire grants management process, from award acceptance to closeout, will be available September 30, 2009.
- The community policing course will be available by the end of December 2009.
- Both courses will be available at no cost to all grantees; however, we are currently limiting each awarded agency to two registrations.
- We strongly recommend that agencies register their grants administrator and training coordinator.
- As additional site capacity and training resources are added, agencies will be notified and encouraged to register additional users on the site.
- Users will need their ORI and DUNS numbers to register for access. All grantees will have entered these numbers on their CHRP application.
The COPS Office is committed to providing the training and resources necessary for law enforcement agencies to use community policing to reduce crime and enhance relationships with those they serve. This training opportunity will provide another resource that we hope will meet the needs of all law enforcement agencies—large, medium, and small—who have been funded under CHRP. For additional information about hiring and recruitment, please refer to our Recruitment topics page, www.cops.usdoj.gov/RIC/ResourceList.aspx?lt=Category&CID=27&srt=Date&pn=1.